Gnathology is a branch of dental care that studies the work and interaction of temporo-mandibular joint (jaw joint), masticatory muscles and teeth, which ensure proper performance of lower jaw.
Adequate functioning of temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) enables all the components of dental system to maintain flawless body operation. If one component malfunctions then the entire system is affected.
Gnathology specialist performs the treatment of temporo-mandibular joint after discovering the reason for dento-maxillofacial dysfunction and its degree and advising the proper care.
Symptoms of TMJ syndrome that require a doctor's appointment:
- Muscle ache of unidentified nature in the area of face, ears, neck and shoulders
- Tinnitus (buzzing in ears) and frequent ear popping
- Improper joining of teeth after dental treatment
- Cracking noise in the jaw and joints of the ear area
- Blocking (jamming) of jaw when opened or closed
- Teeth-grinding (bruxismus)
- Constant headaches
You should consult a gnathology specialist before prosthetic and orthodontic care to help create a fixture that would fit you best.
What you get when you see a gnathology specialist:
- A comprehensive functional diagnostics, X-ray examination, photographic recording and axiography to study all the detail of joint complex structure and to create a treatment plan.
- Stabilization splint therapy to eliminate discomfort and restore the alignment of jaw.
- Dentin modeling to shape your future smile in respect for functional position of each individual tooth and dental curve as a whole. At this stage you could be prescribed orthodontic treatment using SAP technology.
- Prosthetic treatment based on created functional model.
Benefits of gnathological treatment:
- Alleviation of aches of unidentified nature
- Proper functioning of TMJ
- Improvement of general well-being including the recovery of hearing and sight coordination, headache relief, reaction improvement
Dr. Olga A. Dostovalova, the only gnathology practitioner in the city, treats TMJ disorder in Atis Faber Clinic.
Dr. Dostovalova proceeds with her professional training in the University of Vienna learning from Dr. Rudolf Slavicek, an internationally acclaimed gnathology professor, and puts this knowledge to use while working with her patients. Dr. Dostovalova believes the experience and attainment she received during her training help patients completely change their views of prosthetic dentistry, correction of bite and general work of the body and the role of a dentist in these processes.
To learn more about the procedure, its requirements and possible contraindications fell free to contact our specialists at Atis Faber dental clinic in Chelyabinsk.